What is Jawline Contouring?
Jawline Contouring is a surgical procedure done to improve the contour, shape and symmetry of the lower jaw bone. This is done by shaving off a few millimeters of the bone from the area of concern. It is a very versatile procedure which can:
- Give you a V-line jaw contour
- Correct a square face shape
- Feminize the face by giving it a heart-shape
- Trim excess bone on one side to achieve symmetry
The jawline is one of the most defining features of the facial aesthetic. Even a minor reshaping of the jawline can remarkably enhance facial appearance. It can make one look more feminine, more youthful, or more symmetrical, as desired.
The shape change achieved with jawline contouring is permanent. So the surgery is done after a detailed discussion and planning session.
Why is Jawline Contouring done?
- To make the jawline more prominent
- To correct a square face.
- To give you a more feminine face
- To correct asymmetric jawlines
What Jawline Contouring Can & Can’t Do?
- Improve the face profile and symmetry
- Define and enhance the jawline
- Make you appear more feminine
- Give you a more slender looking face
- Promise to make you look like a certain person or a celebrity
- Alter the way your teeth meet
- Affect your TMJ (jaw joint)
How should you prepare for Jawline Contouring?
- Discuss your aesthetic requirements with your surgeon
- Planning consult includes your approval of a simulated jaw profile designed by your doctor
- Discuss any medical illnesses, if you have, with your doctor
- Stop smoking for at least 2 weeks before the surgery
- Get an oral prophylaxis (scaling) 1 week before surgery to improve oral hygiene and surgical outcome
Jawline Contouring Procedure
Jawline Contouring is a simple and safe procedure that is performed under general anesthesia. It involves shaving off a few millimeters of bone from the bottom edge of the lower jaw, while preserving the integrity and function of important nerves and tissues. This is done to change the shape of the jawline to a more sleek and slender one or to achieve face symmetry. The amount of bone to be removed is pre-planned on mock surgeries on simulation software that helps to visualize the final jawline shape virtually before the surgery.
In some cases where the chin region needs extra narrowing to give a V-line jaw shape, a genioplasty may need to be done. This new chin position is stabilized with titanium plates and screws.
The complete procedure takes roughly 60-90 minutes. The entire surgery is done from inside the oral cavity with no scars or stitches anywhere on the face.
At our centre, the use of piezosurgery for bone cutting prevents the risk of injury to vital nerves and teeth during surgery, making the entire treatment experience safer and more comfortable for the patient. Also, the fixation plates used are premium quality and steam sterilized to prevent any risk of infection.
Recovery after Jawline Contouring?
- Jawline Contouringis a simple procedure, with a speedy recovery
- Mild swelling may be seen for up to 10 days after the procedure
- Solid foods and heavy exercise are to be avoided for 7 days after the surgery
- Normal diet and lifestyle may resume after 1 week
- Regular saline rinses are advised to maintain wound hygiene
- You may experience some numbness of the lip in some cases
Risks involved in Jawline Contouring?
If not performed by an expert, it may lead to:
- Permanent lip numbness
- Unaesthetic outcome
- Facial asymmetry
- Soft tissue laxity and a double chin
- Damage to lower teeth
- Wound infection